Wednesday 31 December 2014

frets/fretboard 2

personally, I find this topic a drag so I suppose I should get it out of the way as soon as possible

radius

I started on a classical guitar so I became accustomed to having my fretboard dead flat. then I went onto a certain jangly guitar as used by some fab guitarists (I keep forgetting their name...) and not only was the neck so thin but so narrow, you couldn't compare the two. they were a million miles away from each other as far as design is concerned

then I purchased a custom guitar. I got it second hand, it had a Floyd Rose tremolo and some hot pickups but what I would regard as the best feature - the fretboard was dead flat.

now I suffer from WFS. I have all my life

Weeny Finger Syndrome

having a flat fretboard on an electric guitar was a dream come true. coupled with a thin neck and jumbo frets. the best cure for my syndrome known to man.

having experienced this design on an electric guitar, all other instruments I played from that day onwards felt odd. the trend of the day was thin necks and jumbo frets but every time I experienced that curve, no matter how slight, I felt like I was sinking in quick sand

plus if you are going to have a fretboard radius so slight, why not get rid of it altogether?

it's like some strange hangover when violin and cello builders also built guitars. I don't want to bow the damn thing, I want to pluck it or strum it.

I read this statement on the internet

"smaller radii (7.25–10") are said to be more comfortable for chord and rhythm playing, while larger radii (12"-16" and up to flat) are more appealing to fast soloing"

not in my experience.

but that is me. infinite radius works for me. maybe I can't defend anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment